Putting together an emergency kit is on all of our “To Do Lists”! Here are some helpful tips to get you pointed in the right direction!
- Food and water – make sure that the shelf life of the food and water is 5 years. Have enough food and water for EACH person in your family for at least 3 days. Water comes in 8 oz boxes or pouches and the minimum that you want is 24 oz per day. In regards to food bars, 3600 food bars are best – they will last one person for 3 days – you can get these at your local camping store.
- First Aid – Band-Aids, ointments, cold compresses, tweezers, tongue depressors, gauze pads, scissors, adhesive tape, non-aspirin tablets, alcohol wipes and anything else that you feel you might need.
- Lighting and electrical supplies – Flashlights and batteries, light sticks, am/fm radio (solar powered or hand crank is best).
- Sanitation and comfort supplies – Toilet paper, tissues, wipes. Towelettes, emergency blankets, tooth brush and tooth paste, feminine products.
- Search and rescue supplies – leather palmed gloves, whistle, duct tape, rain ponchos, utility knife.
Place all of these items in a duffle bag or back packs and keep them in a place where they are easily accessible. Also make sure that you make one for your car!